Number Animoto

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tool #9 - skype in the classroom


Skype could be used between classes at the same school. With our ActivBoards and Document Cameras (which can be used as a WEB camera), students can share solutions and communicate problems between classes. Imagine students creating word problems for the other class to solve. The students could skype to share the problems, and share how they solved it. This can be done within the same grade level as well as different grade levels. This can be done with other classes in the district.

With the use of our ActiveBoards, screen casts can be used to show how a problem was solved step by step.

I read the problem first and created a solution sentence (screen shot). I then made my unit bar (screen shot). After I made my unit bar, I read the problem in chunks and place the numbers in the correct place on the unit bar (screen shot). I decided what operation(s) to use to solve the problem (screen shot). I solved the problem and checked to see if I was correct by using an opposite operation (screen shot). I placed the answer in my original solution sentence (screen shot).

If our students can communicate how they solve problems, and be confident in their processes... If our students can see how their peers reached the solution an gain new knowledge... If our students can share with others and be proud of their work... then at the end of the day, we have given them the opportunity to get closer to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment